Post Abortion Counseling is for anyone who is suffering from the after-effects of an abortion. Many women seek counseling for depression, anxiety, addiction issues, panic attacks, and symptoms consistent with post-traumatic stress disorder. After exploration of when symptoms began they are often traced back to an abortion experience. Because denial is so strong, it often takes women 6-10 years before they begin to address a variety of symptoms resulting from an early abortion. Most women never connect their mental health issues back to an abortion. The pain of an abortion experience is often repressed. There is rarely a safe place where a woman can begin to sort through her own unique feelings regarding her abortion experience. Whatever your political, religious or social views are of abortion you will be welcomed with compassion to explore your unique experience. Following are some common reactions/symptoms of Post Abortion Stress/Trauma…
- When abortion is mentioned in public do you find your body reacting physically: i.e. Stomach ache, jaws clenched, holding your breath?
- Are you affected by seeing babies and pregnant women? Are you uncomfortable around children?
- Did you begin to use drugs or alcohol or increase your intake after your abortion?
- Have you experienced periods of prolonged depression? Do you have suicidal thoughts?
- Do you have nightmares, flashbacks, or hallucinations relating to the abortion? Do you hear your baby crying?
- If you have children now, are you smothering or over-protective? Do you have trouble bonding/connecting with your child?
- Do you look at your life in terms of before and after the abortion? Has your self worth diminished?
- Have you become hypersexual, avoidant of sex or have you become increasingly inhibited with sex?
- Do the above symptoms increase around the anniversary date of your abortion or around the expected birth date?
- Have you stopped praying, lost connection to your faith and/or fear God’s judgment?
If you are experiencing any of the above you may benefit from Post Abortion Counseling. Don’t allow fear or shame to keep you from healing and moving forward with your life. There is hope and healing waiting for you. Call me at 559-908-2991 for a 15 minute free phone consultation when you are ready.